Giroc is a commune in the Timiș county, Banat, Romania, consisting of the villages of Chişoda and Giroc (seat village).
The Giroc locality was first mentioned documentarily in 1371. However, archaeological traces were found on the commune territory, indicating human presence starting with the Stone Age and the Iron Age. Dacian-Roman materials and traces from the Middle Neolithic have also been discovered. A settlement belonging to the Cucuteni – Belegis Culture was also discovered on the territory of the commune.
In the period after the first documentary attestation, the history of Giroc evolved in line with the political and economic development of Banat. In 1379 there was a judge in Giroc. In 1745 the Giroc leader is mentioned. For a long time, most of the inhabitants were Orthodox Romanians, serfs; the agricultural land was the property of the Aulice Chamber in Vienna. Between 1865 and 1870 there was the first colonization of Giroc with families of Germans (Banat Swabians) from Grabaț, Lenauheim, Variaş. The importance of Giroc grew as it became the centre of the administrative unit in 1870. In 1897 the „Ghiroc People’s Bank” was established here.
Between 1910 and 1912 a new wave of German settlers from Niţchidorf arrived to Giroc. After the union of Banat with Romania in 1920, the official name changed from Gyüreg to to Giroc, in Romanian.
According to the census carried out in 2011, the population of Giroc amounts to 8,388 inhabitants, having increased from the previous census of 2002 when there were 4,295 inhabitants. Most of the inhabitants are Romanians (90.44%), with a minority of Hungarians (1.8%). For 4.64% of the population, the ethnicity is unknown. From a confessional point of view, most of the inhabitants are Orthodox (81.75%), but Roman Catholic (3.84%), Pentecostal (3.51%), and Baptist (3.12%) minorities also exist. For 4.84% of the population, the confessional membership is unknown.