Bucovăț Commune

Website:

 

 

The Bucovăţ commune is located in the centre of the Timiș County, about 10 km east of the Timișoara municipality.

From the administrative point of view, it is bordered to the north by Remetea Mare (3 km), to the east by Bazoşu Nou (3 km), to the south by Albina, to the south-west by Moșnița Veche (3 km).

Archaeological traces starting with the Iron Age, but especially from the Neolithic, were found on the territory of the locality. According to the Monography of Banat, by Ioan Lotreanu, the first documentary attestation dates from 1492, in a diploma that granted Bucov the town status. This shows that the town is much older. The existence of the settlement during the Ottoman period is not known in detail, but it existed in 1690, because it was recorded by Marsigli in his notes.

Documentary sources after the conquest of the Banat by the Habsburgs recorded the village with the name of Bucova (in 1723, because in 1717 it was not mentioned). Initially, the village area was elsewhere, in a marshland. Due to the numerous floods, the village was moved to the current area. Until 1720, the inhabitants moved completely into the new settlement. The first school was built around 1774, and in 1776 the commune had 82 houses.

The Bucovăţ locality was part of the Remetea Mare commune, from which it detached in 2007 and formed the Bucovăţ commune along with Bazoșu Nou.

According to the census carried out in 2011, the population of the Bucovăţ commune amounts to 1,601 inhabitants, increasing compared to the previous census in 2002, when 1,410 inhabitants were registered. Most of the inhabitants are Romanians (89.13%). The main minorities are Roma (2.81%) and Hungarians (1.37%), and for 5.81% of the population the ethnicity is unknown. From the confessional point of view, most of the inhabitants are Orthodox (87.82%), but there are also Roman Catholic (2.81%) and Baptist (2.25%) minorities. For 5.81% of the population, the confessional membership is unknown.